|competencies | tutorial | glossary | help | site index|
K9: Understanding the paraprofessionalís role regarding communication with students, studentsí families, and the community that supports learning and well-being for student with Other Health Disabilities.
K10: Understanding the paraprofessionalís role within the educational roles and responsibilities of teachers and support personnel in providing educational services to students with OHD.
S4: Demonstrating the understanding to utilize opportunities for students with OHD to participate, interact, and learn with all students.
Lesson 1b Reinforcement
Activity 1: QuickQuiz
Activity 2: The Paraprofessional’s Role: Supporting Students with Other Health Disabilities (OHD)
The Paraprofessional’s Role: Supporting Students with Other Health Disabilities (OHD)
A student that you support has a diagnosis of asthma. The student seems very distracted and unable to concentrate in class today. You ask him if there is anything that he is worried or concerned about that is making it hard for him to concentrate and complete this work. The student tells you he is worried about doing the mile run tomorrow in physical education class because he is afraid he might have an asthma episode.
1. What would you encourage the student to do to let the other important people in his life know about his concerns?
2. Who are the important people at school that you need to notify that the student has these concerns?
3. How can you assist the student to advocate for getting his concerns and needs addressed?
4. Who can you talk with about how asthma episodes can be prevented or managed well?
5. What strategies might you use in the classroom to assist the student to concentrate and complete his work?
Get a worksheet that you may print for this activity.